The joint project "MARIA" is dedicated to the digitalisation of product-related services in the maritime industry and shows possible solutions that will enable companies in the German maritime industry to develop from a primarily reactive to a proactive after-sales service. In this way, the project contributes to opening up the opportunities of Industry 4.0 in the maritime application area with its very specific framework conditions and requirements for ship and fleet management as well as maritime logistics chains.
Modern ships and ship systems generate a large amount of sensor, operational and motion-related data in the course of their lives. Only the linking of these currently mostly isolated islands of data and their evaluation with the help of innovative analysis methods enables the development of an optimal decision-making basis for service planning and control. Against this background, three questions are the focus of the Fraunhofer CML's work in the MARIA project:
- How can the current and expected condition of shipboard systems and the associated service requirements be better predicted?
- How can the information thus created be used in the best possible way in service planning and control decisions?
- How can crew and service personnel on board be supported in the documentation of maintenance measures and be better integrated into the coordination process between shipping company, service provider and ship?
Role of the CML in MARIA:
The Fraunhofer CML transfers current research results and innovative analysis methods (e.g. data mining & big data analytics, machine learning, artificial intelligence, learning decision support) into the practice of shipping and maritime service. The aim is to demonstrate, together with practical partners and using prototypical demonstrators, how constantly growing volumes of data can be converted into suitable information that enables better planning and control of the service.
- Carnival Maritime GmbH
- DRYNET GmbH
- FoP Consult GmbH
- InMediasP GmbH
- Wärtsilä Deutschland GmbH
- Wiegershaus GmbH
- Zeppelin Power Systems GmbH & Co. KG
- Fraunhofer-Center für Maritime Logistik und Dienstleistungen CML
- Fraunhofer-Institut für Graphische Datenverarbeitung IGD
The MARIA project runs from 01.01.2021 - 30.06.2023.